Friday, December 26, 2008

Compulsions

Hi - Back after a long absence. Sorry about the silence. Naomi covers mucho on her work blog at Concentrates but now I had to get into the fray.
A while back we came into possession of 30 old windows. They sat on the side of the house on a pallet under a tarp until they pissed our landlord off and gave me the itch to finally turn them into a greenhouse. I am not a builder but lately I have been getting these compulsions to build. Recent projects I have zombied my way through include 2 sets of bookshelves, new doors and flourishes on chicken coop, retaining wall for mudslide in front yard - due to wacky grading during the renovation 3 years ago - that has now caused some craptastic erosion. (We are renters so don't ask me). I generally work with almost all found materials - either wood I find in the area or found nicer pallets that I decon. Some purchases of 1/2" hardware cloth and 2x2's morphed into some gossamer shelves for future greenhouse already. Looking for any and all alternatives to the big chain building stores as well. Trying to avoid Home Depot and Lowe's.
Last night I built a 1/16th scale model of the greenhouse (see photo). So we walked to the Rebuilding Center today and got some hinges and brackets for the greenhouse. And hope to get some advice from my friend Luis who is a real builder in North Carolina.