Friday, June 29, 2007

Scythe from Shadybrook Rd.

There is this fascinating older woman named Dolores who lives on an old farm near us. She is sweet, intelligent and reminds me very much of my father in a comforting way. Her home is deeply eccentric and layered with special objects, great books, plants, a dog named Buddy. I really like talking with her. Chickens stroll around. Two of them are best friends and a bit on their own versus the rest of the ladies who are older. Their names are Butterscotch - a buff orpington I think and a little bantam named Brownie. She also has an amazing peacock and a couple of pea hens. We've seen the peacock way up high in the barn calling, his tail is insane, it's incredible and they can fly so high. She lends me a lot of great herb and farming books and old copies of ORGANIC Gardening and Farming magazines, including one with Ruth Stout on the cover from February 1957, when the words Gardening and Farming held equal weight on the title. I've also been itching to buy a scythe, but good ones are expensive. Maybe they are on my brain so much, I don't know if I brought it up or not?? but Dolores gave me this awesome old scythe. It needs a lot of work, I'll take a photo, I love it.